Employee Benefits FAQ's


Frequency Asked Questions

When open enrollment ends and I experience a major life event …

Question: What is a qualifying event?

Answer: A qualifying event is a special enrollment that allows an employee to change an enrollment election (i.e. add or delete dependents, change level of coverage) for yourself and/or your dependents. You will be required to provide proof of the life event and the date it occurred.

Question: What types of actions would be considered a qualifying event?


  • Marriage/Divorce
  • Birth or Adoption of a child by the employee
  • Termination of employment (or commencement of employment) of the employee's spouse
  • The spouse has a significant change in employment status (i.e. full-time status to part-time status, etc…)
  • Death of the enrolled family member
  • You waive medical coverage for yourself/family because of other healthcare coverage and you lose that other coverage for special reasons
  • Your dependent child 'aged-out' of the plan and/or obtains their own plan (refer to your contract as applicable)

Question: How much time do I have to notify Human Resources that I have experienced a qualifying event for a special enrollment?

Answer: You must request enrollment within 31 days after your or your dependents' other coverage ends. You must request enrollment within 31 days afterthe marriage, birth, adoption, death, etc.

Question: Beyond benefit enrollment changes…would there be any other changes that I need to consider?

Answer: Don't forget that you may also need to change your marital status, address, beneficiary(ies), tax withholding, direct deposit, and/or name change for payroll/pensions.

Change of name/address/phone number forms may be obtained online in the HR Forms link or at the Human Resources counter.

Payroll/tax forms are available from the payroll office.

Beneficiaries can be changed via the NJ Pensions and Benefits website via MBOS.


Benefit Carrier Contacts