Mott School is located in Trenton, NJ and part of the Trenton School System. The first school in South Trenton was the Second Street School (Also known as the Nottingham School) built in 1854 when education was voluntary. As education became compulsary, a new and bigger building was constructed on Centre Street. It was built between 1876 and 1911. This school was renamed in 1896 after Civil War general Gershom Mott. This school was in use until 1980. The current building on Stokely Ave. was opened in 1982.
Gershom Mott was the grandson of John Mott who led Washington's Army from its encampment at Washinton's Crossing, Pa. on Christmas night into Trenton to defeat the Hessiens and change the course of the Revolutionary War. During Gershom's reign as general during the Civil War, he was seriously wounded twice. After the war, he held positions as top executive the Camden and Amboy railroad and state treasurer. He died in 1884. Those wishing to visit our namesake's gravesite can do so in the nearby Riverview cemetary on Lalor Steet. He is one of several notable dignataries from the area buried there.
Our school today is one of the top scoring schools in the city of Trenton. By the end of the current school year, each student in the school will have access to their own computer. We off sereral clubs such as chess, chorus and recorder. We have an afterschool Lexia program that supports both remedial and accelerated growth.