Answers after every 10 brainteasers:
1. Can you name twenty-five words without an "A" in them in 30 seconds?
2. Can a sentence end in the word "the"?
3. How much dirt is in a hole that is 3ft. deep, 4 feet wide, and 2 ft. long?
(Volume=length x Width x Height)
4. At noon, the big hand is on the 10 and the small hand is on the 3. What time is it?
5. Two coins add up to 35 cents. One of them is not a quarter. What are the coins?
6. Say "Stop" three times. What do you do when you come to a green light?
7. If a plane crashes on the border of Mexico and Texas, where are the survivors buried?
8. A ship with a rope ladder is floating on a river. It is 12 noon. There are 6 rungs that are 1 ft. apart on the ladder. The first rung is 1 foot off the water. If the tide is rising at one foot an hour, at what time will the water reach the 6th rung?
9. What's always coming but never arrives?
10. What will get wetter the more it dries?
Scroll down for answers:
1. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, etc. (There are no "A"s in any number until you reach one thousand)
2. Yes, you just read one that ended with "the." Question 2 ends with the word "The".
3. None, by definition, a hole is empty.
5. A quarter and a dime. The question said that one coin is not a quarter. That doesn't mean that the other coin can't be a quarter.
7. No where, you don't bury the survivors.
8. Never (Unless the boat sinks). The boat is floating so as the tide rises, so will the boat.
9. The future
10. A towel
11. You are running a race and just passed the third place runner. What place are you in now?
12. What type of room has no doors or windows?
13. What kind of tree can you hold in your hand?
14. What word in the dictionary is always spelled incorrectly?
15. If you have one, you may want to share it. If you share it, you haven't got it. What is it?
16. Forward I am very heavy, but backwards I am not. What am I?
17. Imagine you are in a castle dungeon with three foot thick walls. The iron door has three locks and it is constantly guarded by 6 armed trolls and a fire breathing dragon that never sleeps. There is a moat surrounding the castle filled with hungry crocodiles and a 20 foot wall patrolled by large poisonous snakes. How do you easily get out?
18. What invention lets you see through a wall?
19. What might you catch but can't throw?
20. If elves find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, what is now at the end of the rainbow?
Scroll down for answers:
11. 3rd You now take over third place
12. A mushroom
14. The word: Incorrectly
15. A secret
17. Imagine you are out. You imagined you were there.
18. A window
19. A cold
20. The letter W
21. You have to cross a river with a fox, chicken, and bag of corn.You have a boat that can only carry yourself and just two other things you have. The fox will eat the chicken if left alone and the chicken will eat the corn if left alone. How do you make it across with everything safe?
22. What is lighter than a feather but the strongest man in the world can't hold it for much more than a minute?
23. Which weights more, a ton of gold or a ton of feathers?
24. There are 5 kids and you have 5 apples in a basket. How do you divide them up so that each kid gets an apple and one apple stays in the basket?
25. You are in a square house with a window on each wall. Each window faces the same direction. A bear walks by the house. What color is the bear and why?
26. What occurs once in every minute, twice in every moment, yet never in a thousand years?
27. There are 5 apples and you take 4 away. How many do you have?
28. Read the message at right.
29. What starts with the letter "t", is filled with "t", and ends with "t"?
30. Name four days of the week that start with the letter "t"?
31. If it takes eight men ten hours to build a wall, how long would it take five men to build the same wall (They all work at the same speed)?
32. Is there any man capable of jumping higher than the Empire State Building?
33. Johnny's mother had three children. The first was called April, the next was called May. What was her third child's name?
Answers: scroll down:
21. Bring the fox and chicken over to the other side on your boat. Return with the fox. Then bring the fox and corn over.
22. Your breath
23. Neither, they both weigh the same. A ton is a ton no matter what the material. It would just take much more feathers to make up the ton.
24. Give four kids an apple. Give the 5th kid the basket with the apple in it.
25. White. The house has to be sitting exactly on the north or south pole four all four windows to be facing one direction (north or south). *Note, polar bears are only found in the Arctic so it would have to be the North Pole.
26. The letter M
27. Four, the 4 you took.
28. Paris in the the spring. (Did you read "the" twice.)
29. A teapot
30. Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow.
31. It'll take no time at all. The wall was already built by the ten men.
32. Almost all men can jump higher than the Empire State Building. Buildings can't jump.
34. You're in a running race. If you overtake the last person in the race, then what position are you in?
35. Do this only in your head. No pencil, paper or calculator. Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10.. What is the sum (total)?
36. A person who cannot talk goes into a shop wanting to buy a toothbrush. By immitating the acion of brushing his teeth, he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.
Next, a blind man comes into the shop who want to buy a pair of sunglasses. How does he indicate what he wants to the shopkeeper?
37. Mary's father has five children: 1. Nana 2. Nena 3. Nina 4. Nona. What's the name of the fifth?
34. You can't overtake the last person. He's last.
35. It's not 5000. It's 4,100. Check with a calculator if necessary.
36. By asking for it. Blind people can talk.
37. Mary (It's Mary's father so Mary is a child.)
Source for many of the brainteasers: www.brainden.com www.everythingmom.com